Sunday, May 14, 2017

DELTAVILLE TO WHITE POINT MARINA, Kinsale VA

Boy did I get "sat upon and <whipped and put up wet" today PLUS at the end of the day I was frozen. We take showers on a boat differently from @home. You get in the shower, wet your body then turn the water OFF, soap up, then rinse off. That way you save water. It is the most precious thing on a boat, not necessarily PHANTOM because we have been docking in marinas each night and we can tank up. It's sorta a pain in the butt, but only takes a few minutes. Last night was different because I had to warm up someway and I did that with warm water running over my body because I was frozen!!! The Chesapeake was rough, very windy and cold.

This gave me a real sense of what George Washington accomplished during the Revolutionary War! He crossed many rivers including the Delaware River during the winter, I suppose in rain, sleet, and snow. Back when he did it, was much tougher I'm sure.He didn't have 2 X 455 hp pushing his boat so I can imagine how long it took him to get across. Thank goodness the only thing we ended up with from the English is their English language and a curse of a legal system of torts. We were really doing nothing but running up the Potomac River just to say I have taken my boat up the Potomac River, eventually ending up where George slept!

Finally after 6 hours, I had planned to do 8, I just had enough and looked for "Plan B" marina's. Low & behold there was White Point Marina. It wasn't the closest but sometime you thank what is better AND boy did this turn out to be a better deal. The marina had been in the family for over 50 years. It was small but they have been servicing vessels for that 50 years. They don't have a big fork lift to remove boats from the water, they have a railway car pulled by a Diesel engine using cables on guides just like the funicular going up to Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga. Sitting on it was a Monk trawler gettin her bottom cleaned and painted. The shop reminds me of the type of marina/yards I saw in Germany during the 33 years I was there. I love the old way of doing things. Makes so much more sense.

Anyway, I talked to Rob the owner about having a new wireless autopilot controller installed and hooefully on my return trip back down the Potomac there will be an electronics installer ready to do just that.... install it. One issue I've been trying to get taken care of is windshield wipers. I have none, can't find anyone with them in stock, and most don't want to fool with them. Rob had his people come out to the boat and measure my windows and he's going to try to have them by the time I get back. Lastly, by the time I'm there again I'll have my 200 hours on the oil and they'll do the oil change for me and send off the oil analysis to CAT for me.

You normally don't get things scheduled this quick but one thing I learned while there was that their tourist season doesn't start until Labor Day or about 3 weeks from now. PHANTOM was the only boat in the water in the marina! Looked lonely sitting there by herself but I'm really glad I was cold and wanted to stop. If any other Loopers happen to read this blog, you will not find a better HOST that Rob and White Point Marina (804-472-2977).

Oh and I forgot to say, I asked about eating. Rob said most places were closed on Monday but he'd check. Later he came by and said try this place..... Tim's Riverfront Restaurant at Coles Marina. "Here" he said "are the keys to my truck. Take it and I've drawn you a detailed map on how to get there, but you have to go down some little country roads" like it was a big deal. It wasn't because I was raised on more country roads that they were BUT this marina is out in the sticks.... with no Verizon signal. It's like being somewhere in space with no lifeline. Serious panic for some on PHANTOM, huh C?

We pulled up to Tim's Riverfront and there was an old rustic log home boarded up that overlooked the most beautiful view of anywhere I've ever seem. Fantastic views of the Potomac for at lease 20 miles up and down the river.

Well it didn't look crowded.... actually there was a car there when we drove up but as we were taking photos, they came out and drove off. When we went inside there was one guy sitting at the bar. I asked the tattooed, with tongue, ear, lip, and who knows where else, rings piecing all kinds of body parts..... how long is the wait? She calmly said "none" and moved toward out table. Food was good but not spectacular, but plenty of it for later. Two other people can later for soup or something small and left quickly. Learn that their season here does not start until Labor Day and that's 2+ weeks off.

No comments:

Post a Comment