Sunday, April 23, 2017

SO MUCH HISTORY.... so little time!

It's been almost like preparing for a test (but I have to be honest, I didn't do that much). The big difference today is it's much more interesting and one should want to know the history of our country. Yesterday was a lot of "Maritime Museum" but much different from the small towns along the coasts of SC & NC, who each have their own maritime museums. Those are more suited to who-is-who in their local area. Blackbeard the pirate is a good example. The museum in Beaufort NC tells his story. The Norfolk museum includes how the UNITED STATES developed their own navy but is actually a history lesson describing all countries and how ships were important to their survival and growth. I could have stay many more days but wanted to visit Jamestown and Williamsburg.

I went to Williamsburg yesterday about 2pm, but shopping is not my thing. It is a beautiful, clean, very busy place. The stores and houses are storybook-like almost as if they were printed on a 3D printer. Lots of families visiting there, which surprised me, and I kept thinking why? Disney couldn't have dressed and outfitted them anymore perfect than the whole town was..... all except me! This just wasn't my place. Having said that I must admit I did go into a Celtic store and bought myself an Irish shirt (could also have Scottish too)!

Off I go to Jamestown as it's only a short 20 minute ride there and I thought I could maybe see it all. That was a mistake, mainly because within 10 minutes of my arrival, It started to rain. There are 3 parts to Jamestown, the Fort, the boats, and the inside where I found the most interesting part. The 3 boats, which were built around 2005 to represent the 3 original boats that sailed from England to bring the Virginia Colony to the new world. One good thing about arriving late, the museum will issue another ticket for admission anytime during the next three days because you've arrive so late. I decided I'd come back the next day

Hoping today would be better, I set off again to discover the roots to our country. Rainmakers were working overtime but by the time I arrived back in Jamestown, Pocahontas had worked her magic and it had stopped. I got to see it all today and can't believe how much I learned.

One of the most interesting "WoW" things concerned water. Each display had a volunteer dressed in period costume to explain what we were seeing. I asked a question about the earliest settlers if they made "mead". For those who don't know, this is an alcoholic beverage made and drank in Europe early on. I was surprised to learn that the ONLY drink was BAD water. This caused serious health issues for all settlers. The most surprising thing is they DID NOT KNOW TO BOIL WATER, which would have killed the bacteria and saved countless people!  Mosquitoes and Malaria killed many as their wells soon became contaminated with salt and brackish water from the swamp Jamestown was built on.

SO MUCH TO LEARN..... so little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment