Tuesday, April 18, 2017

BEAUFORT, BELHAVEN, & Points North

We left Beaufort after spending 2 full days there, Sat & Easter Sunday. We got to where we liked the place. Marine Museum, depicting the history of Blackbeard the Piriate. It also included lots of info about ship building, fishing, and the surrounding village. There was a monument to John Smith, an Astronaut on the Challenger Mission, which exploded and killed all aboard. He was from Beaufort. I called a young guy to come look at an electrical problem and he ended up him installing 2 batteries, which I had brought from Tarpon Springs. I didn't put them in before I left because I ran outa time. Ryan did an excellent job and he was very reasonable with what he charged. If anyone reads this and needs help, give Ryan a call @ 252-241-4907. Good work at realistic prices. I had the people at Thunderbolt Marina look at the job he did and they said it would take 21/22 hours to do it and Ryan did the job in less than 6 hours. Easter morning there was a Sunrise service down on the docks. When I got there the pastor was saying the final prayer so I didn't get much outa the sermon. I am award of the reason for Easter and blessed that God gave his son to die on the cross for our sins, which means, as long as we believe, we will have eternal life. One good thing about Beaufort was Roland's restaurant! They had collards, black eyed peas, fried green tomatoes, ribs, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, pecan & sweet potatoe pie! We ate there Friday and I went back and got $48 worth of to-go to take over to the "Tag Team" boat. They're from Texas and invited us to shared some crabs they had bought from a crabber along the river coming up! Excellent.... along with the fixins I brung!

We stayed at Belhaven NC last night after an 8 hour run up the inside coast. The Marina wasn't much but the kids working there were nice. Pulling into the dock a black snake was snoozing and Joe started to pick it up thinking it as a line/rope. At the other end of the boat Craig was starting to tie up the stern and Joe threw him a black rope! He thought it was a snake too and jumped a mile. A little amusement to humor ourselves. Everybody survived. The town wasn't much but I got a ride to the Foodie Lioness to pick up some more Moon Pies! The night was not very comfortable as the wind was blowing last night and waves were slapping the boat. Anyway, up at 6, on the way by 7 until 5 today.

We crossed the Albermar Sound today. The is a big body of water and because of the depth being ONLY 12' any wind from any direction can make it very uncomfortable. It was NOT scary, unsafe, uncomfortable or anything approaching any of these, BUT it was windy and when my fridge decided to throw up in the middle of the galley (kitchen) floor with 90% of its contents...... NOW this was irritating, to say the lease! Toms BBQ sauce was the big problem. It went all over everything plus other jars broke, which didn't make me happy at the end of the day BUT it was my fault for ensuring the doors were locked!!!!! Sitting here writing before bed I just heard a big Diesel engine approaching. It was a Tug and 1 Barge going by. This is always a high point for a looper day, to see and pass a tug tug boat moving a Barge.

Tomorrow we'll be in Norfolk or the lower Chesapeake. It's been one day more than 3 weeks and I think we've done great. Covered quite a distance in that time and I'm about 1/3 thru the Loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment